Monday, January 17, 2011

Fashion Resolutions for the New Year

This has taken me a long time to come up with, but it's required some thought. I'm not a person who does well with rules. I can't help it, when there are rules I have some kind of perverse obsession with bending or breaking them. So these aren't rules, they're just going to be guidelines. Things that I'm going to try to do, but I'm not going to freak out if I don't.


- Shop less. I truly need to keep my a$$ out of Old Navy just because it's so cheap. I end up buying bags full of stuff that I won't necessarily wear. I'm going to try to limit my shopping for cheap stuff and use that money instead for fewer yet better quality items.


- Thrift more. I believe in thrifting like I believe in recycling but without the all-consuming passion. Truthfully though, it's hard for me to get over my stuck-up ideas about wearing some bitch's old stuff that she didn't want. Crazy? Yes, but I'm working on it. Somehow in high school when I would thrift all the time and wear stuff that quite possibly had been worn by some real live dirty hippie, this didn't bother me at all. I should also add something in here about buying every item of acid-washed clothing that I see in thrift stores and destroying it so that the crimes against humanity can be lessened. I'll see what I can do about that.


- Set some kind of budget and then actually stick to it. I have no idea how much I spend on frivolous items every month. I don't have a shopping/spending addiction (or do I?), but part of being a "real" adult is taking care of these things, and knowing what's coming in versus what's going out.


- Stay away from Ebay for now, or any online retailer. My goodness, I would be so productive if I did even half the amount of "monitor shopping" that I do now.


- Keep the credit card balance at zero so that I can actually use it for stuff. I'm using the same one that I got while in university and the credit limit is only $500. It's good that I don't have much debt, but bad that when I want to buy things sometimes I can't use my card. Someday I might even need it for emergencies.


- Create a list of items that I would like in order to expand my wardrobe, then try to focus on buying just those items and avoiding impulses. I will work on this more at a later date. Hopefully it won't be too long, I'm feeling quite covetous now with all of these "guidelines" flying around. This is the most important one, I think.


- Stop buying more clothes for roller derby! One can only own so many pairs of fishnets. I need to remember that I don't have to buy things just because they are in my team colours, though yes I do know that hot pink, black and white stuff is totally badass.


- Shop more locally, or on Etsy. This should be self-explanatory! Support locally-owned and handmade items. I've bought a lot of things on Etsy over the past three years and my love for the site has not diminished at all.


What are some of your "Fashion Resolutions" for this year?



That's all,

Twills

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment